There was a time when peoples are free to inhale air without any fear. But nowadays, it has become a threat everywhere in the world. This is because of the rapid rise in air pollution. Deforestation and industrialisation are the two main causes that are making the air toxic every day.
Air pollution is highly responsible for respiratory problems in humans. It is now a global problem that should need to be controlled. Therefore, this is necessary to know the causes and effects of air pollution and further how to control it. So, let you look below at the wonderful essay on pollution.
What is Air Pollution?
Air pollution refers to the contamination of the atmosphere caused by the mixture of solid particles and gases in the air. Major pollutants that are responsible for air pollution are factories, non-electric vehicles, smoke, forest fire, volcanic eruption, etc. They effectively cause human health problems, such as respiratory problems, lung cancers, cardiovascular damage and much more. Not all about humans, but it also leads to damage to the plants and animals lives.
Causes of Air Pollution
- Vehicles – Billion of vehicles are running on roads that emit nitrogen on a large scale. Along with this, it also releases more gases such as carbon monoxide, particulates, sulphur dioxide, lead, and carbon dioxide. These all are pollutants that cause air pollution. This is the reason why the world is turning on solar energy and electric vehicles.
- Deforestation – Plants are the most important resource for lives on earth. While talking about air pollution, plants play a major role in keeping the environment clean. They absorb one-third of global emissions every year, including ammonia, nitrogen oxides, and sulphur dioxide. Also, they are responsible for decreasing the global temperature that helps to reduce ground-level ozone levels. Therefore, deforestation can cause air pollution effectively.
- Volcanic Eruption – Several gases and particulates released during a volcanic eruption, including sulphur gases. These types of gases combine with the water vapour that was released in the eruption. This further led to a form of sulphurous and sulphuric acid in the atmosphere. This became a toxic mixture that is very harmful to the peoples inhale the mixture. It resulted in air pollution.
- Factories – Another big source of air pollution is factories. They are highly responsible for the emission of several harmful gases, especially carbon dioxide. And we know well that carbon dioxide causes high temperature which further resulted in global warming. Along with this, the mixture of harmful gases released from factories should make the air toxic.
- Fireworks – Peoples generally uses fireworks during festivals, marriages, and parties. But everyone should be aware of its effects. When we burn fireworks, it releases very toxic and harmful gases into the atmosphere that leads to air pollution.
Moreover, chlorofluorocarbon (CFC), burning of fossil fuel and firewood, asteroid, forest fire, etc are responsible for air pollution.
Effects of Air Pollution
Air pollution has a number of bad effects on the environment and on living organisms. It immensely affects human health and sometimes leads to death. According to the world health organisation (WHO), air pollution causes about seven million deaths every year. Below are the more effects of air pollution.
- Diseases – Air pollution severely causes respiratory problems, asthma, lung cancer, chest pain, etc. Even sometimes leads to death. Moreover, it also damages the immune and reproductive systems of humans.
- Global Warming – Rise in air pollution due to carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases causes global warming. It has an adverse effect on the environment.
- Melting of Glaciers – When air pollution increases and raises the atmosphere temperature. Then the glaciers started melting down due to the heat in the air. It increases the sea level and causes flood in the coastal areas.
- Acid Rain – When sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides released into the air, it reacts with water and forms a dilute solution of nitric and sulphuric acid. And at the time of rain, both affect the environment, especially agriculture.
- Smog Formation – When fossil fuels are burnt then it releases toxic chemicals into the atmosphere. These chemicals later react with the sunlight and its heat and lead to the formation of smog. The smog is very effective on human health and also an obstacle to human visibility.
These are some major and critical effects of air pollution. However, these are not enough. Air pollution has also many effects on the environment, such as the rise of greenhouse gases, extinction of animal species, deterioration of fields and much more.
How to Reduce Air Pollution?
Till here in this essay, we have covered the causes and dangerous effects of air pollution. But only knowing these points are not enough. Everyone should need to maintain discipline towards the causes of air pollution. Raise in air pollution could lead the earth to the next level of problems. Therefore, we should need to follow out these given points to reduce air pollution.
- Prevent the use of fireworks.
- Use Bicycles or walk for covering a short distance.
- Choose public transport instead of personal cars.
- Reduce the combustions of woods and fossil fuels.
- Switch off the light or appliances while they are not in use.
- Stop deforestation and plant more and more trees.
- Use fans instead of an air conditioner (AC) as it releases chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) which raises air pollution.
Summary of Essay on Air Pollution
Air pollution is an ongoing problem that shouldn’t be ignored. We saw earlier in this essay that how air pollution could be effective on the environment. The birds, animals and plants are being affected by this ongoing hazard. It causes millions of deaths every year. If it shouldn’t be controlled now, then the day isn’t far when everyone will be dependent upon oxygen cylinders.
Therefore, we have still some time to keep air pollution in control. This is the time when everyone has to work in unity. One can never stop air pollution but can encourage everyone to do so. Let take a vow to educate peoples and make them responsible for air pollution.
Hope you liked this essay on air pollution. Please tell us if you have any idea to control air pollution. Also, share your feedback about this essay. It will be our pleasure.